Sunday, July 12, 2009

Chiloe

Last weekend a good friend and I traveled to Chiloe, which is in the south of Chile. He is originally from there. I saw a different style of life on this rural island to that which I live here in the high-populated city-life. In order to arrive to this island, we took 4 buses, 1 airplane, and 1 ferry. It was quite the adventure. We stayed in Castro, but my friend showed me some places around Castro as well, such as Chonchi, Rilan, Dalcahue, San Juan, Tenaun, and Quemchi. Most of these towns are much less-populated, which is more like what I am used to. However, this trip was also filled with cultural differences. We visited some of his friends, saw old and well-known churches, and went for rides in the Jeep. This island is known to receive a ton of rain. However, the weather was pretty good when we were there. It is definitely colder on this island, but I dressed warmly. In fact, I used socks and a scarf made of lamb wool. I especially enjoyed getting to know my friend's family and the area in which he grew up. Something I thought was really interesting was how we got off a plane outside, without a tunnel connected to the plane. It reminded me of how the President, for example, can exit a plane outside and wave at people.~haha During our trip, we took a lot of pictures. I especially liked the looks of these 2 things: 1) los palafitos (houses on stilts in the water, which made for neat reflections) and 2) the Andes mountains with snow on top and clouds in view from the airplane. Here are some pictures from the trip:










No comments:

Post a Comment