Monday, June 15, 2009

3 Weekends in a Row





Okie-dokie...This blog is going to talk about the last three weekends.
Three weekends ago, I went on an ISA excursion. We went to Pomaire, which is a typical Chilean town. It has a lot of artisan clay pottery. This same day we also went to Isla Negra, where we saw the third house of the famous poet Pablo Neruda. He collected many neat things that are normally found on ships. One notable thing was his collection of ships in bottles. By the way, I still do not know how they make those. :)
When I got back that Saturday night, I went to a missions group barbecue. I am in an intercultural missions group at the Church.


Last weekend I went to Santiago to visit a friend that I met in high school when she was a foreign exchange student. It had been four years since I had seen her last. I never thought I would end up coming to her home country. Now that I was here, we connected again. I took a bus into the capital and then rode the metro within the capital, because the population of Santiago is about 7 million. Anyway, while with her, we discussed cultural differences. It was really interesting because not many people have lived here and also been to where I grew up. Therefore, it was fun to discuss the differences and rehash old times. I met some of her friends. We went to a sporting mall, where they have sports to do as well as sporting merchandise to buy. I participated in a ropes course in the air. I was nervous, but it was fun, and I am glad I did it.
As for this weekend, what did I do...? Hold on a minute while I think...haha. Friday night I went to the youth group/worship service. A classmate of mine came with me for the second time. A small group of us went out for natural juice afterward. Then, Saturday was somewhat of a relaxing and catch-up-on-sleep and homework day, which was due. On Sunday I went to Church and afterward went for a 7-hour stroll with some friends. There were 5 of us...1 Brazilian, 3 Chilenos, and I. We took a car and visited ConCon, Renaca, Vina del Mar, and Valparaiso to show the Brazilian the scenery and attractions. It was great. Most of the places I had already been to, but it was good to reorient myself, because the first time I went, I was so new to the area and simply following the leaders. Anyway, we had a great time. We ate empanadas, which is kind of like an enclosed taco...but way better...haha. It is probably one of my favorite foods here. The first one I ordered had chicken and cheese on the inside. They encouraged me to try something different. So I ate a seafood empanada, as well as trying some other types. I at least tried crab, clam, oyster, and shrimp!!! Woohoo! And I liked it. Haha. They ended the tour in a little cafe up in a hill in Valparaiso. It is very unique. The inside walls are plastered with pictures and little momentos that past customers have left. Our waiter came out with a stocking cap on, which was probably the first time in my life that I had seen that. Also, a lady started playing guitar and singing a few songs for money in the inside of this tiny cafe. I learned a lot, had a great time, and was so fortunate these friends invited me for the day. :) We laughed a lot and took a lot of pictures, including some night-shots of Valparaiso.







No comments:

Post a Comment